Sweet Potato and Spicy Sausage Soup
I absolutely love the hot italian sausages from Trader Joe’s so I was really excited to use them for this recipe. It gave it that nice spicy kick to the creamy potato soup, which had such a wonderful rich texture. I also loved the wilted spinach throughout the soup, giving me that ample serving of vegetables for the day. This just might be my favorite soup so far.
Sweet Potato and Spicy Sausage Soup (adapted from Smitten Kitchen):
Yields 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces fully cooked sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound red-skinned sweet potato (about 1 large yam), peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 pound white-skinned potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and saute until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
Add the onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes and cook until beginning to soften, stirring often, about 12 minutes.
Add the broth; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Using a potato masher, mash some of the potatoes.
Add the browned sausage to soup. Stir in the spinach and simmer just until wilted, about 5 minutes.