Raspberry Crumb Muffins
Start your mornings off right with these hearty muffins made with fresh raspberries and a crumb topping that is to die for!
Ever since I started food blogging and cooking at home 95% of the time, I actually can’t handle certain restaurant-type foods. I just went to a dim sum lunch yesterday and as good as the food was, I actually began to feel nauseous the minute we left the restaurant. It wasn’t like I-have-food-poisoning-type-nausea but it was more like my body couldn’t handle all the greasiness I just devoured 10 minutes ago. It’s really amazing as to how your body gets used to all the clean eating from home.
That’s why I love baking muffins from home. I love being able to control how much sugar goes into the batter so I can have a nutritious, yet slightly sweet breakfast muffin before I dart out the door to go to work.
So with these muffins here, I threw in some fresh raspberries with a blend of the most aromatic spices and added a crumb topping (you know me and my crumb toppings!). It’s a delightful muffin chockfull of juicy raspberries and just enough sweetness from the oh-so-crumbly topping.
Breakfast on-the-go never tasted so good.
So here’s how you make this:
Let’s first start with the crumb topping by combining some flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
Once you whisk all that together, toss in the cold butter and use your fingers to work the butter right into the batter until you get coarse crumbs.
Next we’ll combine the flour, sugars, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt.
Then of course we have to combine the wet ingredients next – milk, butter, applesauce, eggs and vanilla.
As always, we’ll combine the wet to dry, stirring with a rubber spatula just until it’s combined.
And we can’t forget the gorgeous, fresh raspberries, right?
Go ahead and scoop the batter up into a muffin tray and sprinkle on a generous portion of the crumb topping. Be sure to slightly press the crumbs into the batter.
Pop that into the oven for about 15-18 minutes and breakfast is served!
Raspberry Crumb Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Start your mornings off right with these hearty muffins topped with a crumb topping that is to die for!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberries
For the crumb topping
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into bits
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- To make the crumb topping, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in a small bowl. Add cold butter and toss to coat, using your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together milk, butter, applesauce, eggs and vanilla. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist. Add raspberries and gently toss to combine.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Sprinkle with reserved topping, using your fingertips to gently press the crumbs into the batter.
- Place into oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.