Pork Belly Sliders
With homemade pickled daikon and carrots along with green onion mayonnaise, these may just be the best sliders ever!
Ever since Jason moved back home, I’ve been making a lot of burgers, sliders and hot dogs, the complete opposite of my healthy-vegetarian-quinoa routine. Now I’ve gained about 5-10 pounds with this drastic change in diet, which has been a bit of a struggle because I work my butt off at the gym and spin class 6x week but in the end, I guess I can’t complain too much since I get to indulge in these amazing pork belly sliders.
Now of all the unhealthy stuff I’ve been making lately, this dish has got to be my absolute favorite. How can it not be? The pork belly first gets marinated in a hoisin mixture and then gets wonderfully crisp as it cooks in a cast-iron skillet. Top that off with some homemade pickled daikon and carrots and sandwich this in between a soft and fluffy Hawaiian roll – you’ll seriously have one of the best sliders ever!
So here’s how you make this:
Let’s first pickle some julienned daikon radish and carrots. All you do is throw the veggies into a mason jar and pour in a simmered sugar-vinegar-water mixture. Let this sit in the fridge for at least an hour.
Then let’s marinate this pork belly awesomeness in a hoisin-soy sauce-honey-vinegar-sesame oil mixture. It’s absolutely heavenly!
Once we let that pork belly sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes, throw them onto a preheated cast-iron skillet.
Let it get nice and crisp. The charred crispiness is what we’re looking for here.
Then we’ll toast up some Hawaiian rolls…
and make the green onion mayo, which is the most difficult task ever. You take some mayo and combine it with green onion and garlic. So hard, right?
Now we’ll assemble the sliders with some pork belly, sliced cucumber and pickled daikon and carrots. Put the tops on and serve immediately. They’ll be gone instantly!
Pork Belly Sliders
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound thinly sliced pork belly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 split slider buns, toasted, for serving
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced, for serving
For the pickled daikon and carrots
- 1 cup peeled and julienned carrot
- 1 cup peeled and julienned daikon radish
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
For the green onion mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- To make the pickled daikon and carrots, combine the carrot and daikon radish in a mason jar. In a small pot, whisk together the sugar, vinegar and 1/3 cup water. Bring to a simmer until sugar dissolves; let cool for 10 minutes. Pour the sugar mixture into the mason jar. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- To make the marinade, whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, sesame oil and pepper, to taste. Add the pork belly and gently toss to combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a cast-iron skillet. Add the pork belly and cook until crisp and browned, about 4-5 minutes; set aside.
- To make the green onion mayonnaise, combine the mayonnaise, green onions and garlic in a small bowl.
- Serve pork belly on rolls with pickled daikon and carrots, cucumber and green onion mayonnaise.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.