Loaded Baked Potato Soup
All the flavors of a loaded baked potato comes together beautifully in this satisfyingly creamy and comforting soup!
So now that I work from home all day, I get to watch a lot of television. How I Met Your Mother, Grey’s Anatomy, Charmed, Law and Order SVU, Gilmore Girls – you name it (oh and btw, half these shows are on Lifetime, which is like the best network ever).
But yesterday I couldn’t watch my Grey’s reruns because they played A Walk to Remember instead. Now this movie came out when I was in the 8th grade, and I was completely googly-eyed over 24-year old Shane West. Now that it’s on 11 years later, nothing has changed, except I’m crying in almost every scene – when Shane West takes Mandy Moore to the state line and she’s in two places at once, or when he names a star after her – yeah, sob fest all over.
I think I need to get out more.
But the good thing about working from home is that I can raid the kitchen and gobble up anything and everything, like this loaded baked potato soup. This oh-so-creamy and rich, carb-loaded, cheesy, bacony, comforting, cozy soup that I can eat all day long. It’s honestly become one of my favorite soups ever, and I’ve had it 3 times this week already! With the melted cheddar and the crispy bacon bits, how can you resist?
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
All the flavors of a loaded baked potato comes together in this comforting soup!
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and green onions.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper, to taste. If the soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onion, cheese and bacon, if desired.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.