Carne Asada Tacos
These tacos were absolutely amazing! I just loved the tender, juicy chunks of carne asada which went so well with the tangy cilantro-lime rice and the onion relish. The homemade roasted tomato salsa gave the tacos a nice spicy kick to it and I especially enjoyed the avocado slices, which was a nice change from the usual guacamole. It was a bit of work making the salsa and relish but it was completely worth it. After all, homemade food is always the best.
Carne Asada Tacos (adapted from For the Love of Cooking):
- Corn tortillas
- Carne Asada
- Cilantro lime rice (you can make this by simply mixing in a handful of chopped cilantro with lime juice and lime zest to cooked white rice)
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Avocado, sliced
For the roasted tomato salsa:
- 5 vine ripened tomatoes, sliced lengthwise, stem and core removed
- 1/4 sweet yellow onion, chopped in large pieces, separated
- 2 green onions, tops trimmed
- 3 jalapenos, chopped in large pieces, stem removed
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small handful cilantro, chopped
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and spray with olive oil cooking spray.
Place sliced tomatoes onto center of baking sheet. Add separated pieces of onion, green onion and jalapenos on and around tomato. Place garlic slivers inside the tomato halves (this protects them from burning while still allowing them to infuse the tomatoes with the garlic flavor). Drizzle olive oil all over mixture. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Place in oven and roast until tomatoes are soft and juicy and the onions are tender, about 20 minutes .
Remove from oven and let cool thoroughly.
Add to a bowl with fresh cilantro and blend using an immersion blender or regular blender. (A food processor works as well.)
Refrigerate for a several hours before serving, allowing the flavors to combine.
For the onion cilantro relish:
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to thoroughly combine. Let sit for several hours to allow the flavors to marinate.
To assemble the tacos:
Cook tortillas in a hot pan for 45-60 seconds on each side (this will make them soft and pliable). Add rice, meat, cheese, onion relish, salsa, and top with sliced avocado.